Sunday, July 25, 2010

Waterfalls

How do you survive in 100 degree heat? We've been figuring out for the last week and a half, but haven't quite mastered it. If anyone knows me well, you know there's nothing I hate more than being hot. I'd rather freeze my booty off any day than sweat... and I'm a sweater. Like, if it's over 70 degrees, then I'm sweating. That's just how I roll...

So anyway, it's been hot here, and we've been trying to come up with creative ways to keep cool. It's so hot, we haven't even gone to the pool, as it feels like a warm bath. This morning after breakfast we came up with the novel idea to take advantage of the fact we live a hop, skip, and jump from the Blue Ridge mountains. Our newspaper does a great job of outlining "day trips" every Sunday, and I save the ones I like. I pulled out one from a few weeks ago and chose a state park about 1.5 hours away. The goal was to hike to an 80-foot waterfall.

So, we loaded up the Jeep, put the top down, grabbed the kids and dogs, and headed out. We drove through the backwoods of NC (which I loved... reminded me of Indiana) before arriving at South Mountain State Park. We often hike to the top of Crowders Mountain (closer) but this would be Ava's first time hiking (not riding in a backpack carrier) so we figured what the heck. The hike was great! We were in the shade the entire time, and enjoyed the beautiful, cold, clean creek alongside us the entire hike to the falls. The dogs even swam in the creek a little!

Ava loved hiking (Audrey too -she was on Jim's back) and we made it to the top. It was beautiful and well worth it. The weather was cooler up there, but still hot and humid. It was bareable though, which is more than I could say for staying in Charlotte today. We are already planning a trip back up in the fall, when we plan on camping out (whoa!) and enjoy some time around a campfire.

80 foot waterfall
I've never seen a rock that big in my entire life. Crazy!

No comments: